11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they were saying: “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!” Revelation 5:11-12 New International Version
- I only know the names of two angels. Hark and Harold. Gregory, 5
- Everybody’s got it all wrong. Angels don’t wear halos anymore. I forget why, but scientists are working on it. Olive, 9
- It’s not easy to become an angel! First, you die. Then you go to heaven, and then there’s still the flight training to go through. And then you got to agree to wear those angel clothes. Matthew, 9
- Angels work for God and watch over kids when God has to go do something else. Mitchell, 7
- My guardian angel helps me with math, but he’s not much good for science. Henry, 8
- Angels don’t eat, but they drink milk from Holy Cows!!! Jack, 6
- Angels talk all the way while they’re flying you up to heaven. The main subject is where you went wrong before you got dead. Daniel, 9
- When an angel gets mad, he takes a deep breath and counts to ten. And when he lets out his breath, somewhere there’s a tornado. Reagan, 10
The question asked of kids is a good one. What are angels and what do they do? The Hebrew and Greek words for angels can mean either divine servants of God or human messengers. The word usually is used for the Lord’s supernatural servants.
We see in the Revelation 5 text above that angels are present in the Lord’s court and they worship Him. Angels also assist and protect God’s people, deliver messages, and oppose Satan and his demons.
See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you along the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared. Exodus 23:20 New International Version
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?” Hebrews 1:14 New International Version
13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” Luke 2:13-14 New International Version
The angels appeared during crucial times in the life, ministry, and resurrection of Jesus. Angels delivered good news regarding Jesus’ birth, resurrection, and ascension. They ministered to Jesus after His forty days of temptation in the wilderness.
I am thankful that the Father’s servants work for our good behind the scenes. We are blessed that the Lord not only directly aids us but also deploys an army of angels. The presence of the heavenly hosts will make heaven even sweeter.
Thank you Father, that you love us so much that you bless us with aid from your heavenly servants. We accept in faith that your angels are at work even though we do not see them. We also commit to worship you alone and not your servants. May all glory and honor be to the Father, Son, and Spirit forever. In the eternal name of Jesus, we pray. Amen.